VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: HEAD, CIVIL APPLICATIONS OF NUCLEAR ENERGY (P5)
The African Commission on Nuclear Energy (AFCONE) is an autonomous organization established by the African Nuclear-Weapon-Free Zone Treaty (Treaty of Pelindaba). AFCONE is established for the purposes of ensuring States Parties’ compliance with their obligations pursuant to the Treaty and promoting regional and international cooperation in the civil applications of nuclear science and technology.
The AFCONE Secretariat headed by the Executive Secretary is responsible for carrying out the day-to-day work of implementing the programme of work of AFCONE as approved by the AFCONE commission and adopted by the Conference of States Parties to the Treaty of Pelindaba. The Secretariat also provides technical and administrative support to the AFCONE Commission and the Conference of States Parties.
- Job title : Head, Civil Applications of Nuclear Energy
- Grade : P5 Step 5
- Supervisor : Executive Secretary
- Unit : AFCONE Secretariat
- Duty station : Pretoria, South Africa
- Job posting : 2022-11-05
- Closing date : 2022-12-05
2. Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Executive Secretary of AFCONE:
- Manage coordination with the African Union Commission, the African Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and African Union Organs in order to ensure alignment on matters related to the civil applications of nuclear energy in Africa, and to advance the African Union’s Agenda 2063, and the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SGDs);
- Manage outreach and coordination activities with State Parties to the Treaty of Pelindaba, the Private Sector and other Partners, on regional and inter-regional cooperation in the civil applications of nuclear science and technology;
- Manage cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and State Parties to the Treaty of Pelindaba on matters related to the IAEA’s technical cooperation programme, and the African Regional Cooperative Agreement for Research, Development and Training related to Nuclear Science and Technology (AFRA);
- Contribute to the preparation of the AFCONE Budget, Strategic Plan, Programme of work, Annual Report, and Cooperation Agreements with Partners.
- Manage the formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and sustainability of programmes, capacity building, technical assistance, projects, and work plans related to the civil applications of nuclear science and technology in African countries;
- Promote regional and inter-regional cooperation on the civil applications of nuclear science and technology in Africa;
- Promote and maintain relations with national, regional and international institutions, nuclear industry entities and other stakeholders involved in the civil applications of nuclear science and technology.
- Manage the conceptualization and preparation of analytical, technical and advocacy reports on the civil applications of Nuclear Energy, with an African perspective;
- Represent AFCONE in regional and international forums dealing with the civil applications of nuclear science and technology;
- Contribute to briefing notes, background papers, talking points, speeches and correspondence for the Executive Secretary;
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned or requested by the Executive Secretary.
3. Required Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in nuclear science and technology, business administration, management, or other relevant scientific area. A first-level university degree in combination with at least two years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively increasing responsibility in dealing with regional and/or international policy issues related to the civil applications of nuclear science and technology, and/or the implementation of nuclear or other multilateral arrangements;
- Experience in programme coordination, project management, technical cooperation, capacity building and result based management, particularly in the civil applications of nuclear science and technology;
- Experience in government, international or inter-governmental organization, in particular related to the civil applications of nuclear science and technology in Africa;
4. Desirable experience and competences:
- Experience related to non-proliferation, disarmament, nuclear security and international security;
- Experience in the implementation of nuclear or other WMD related multilateral arrangements, such as NPT, CTBT, CWC, CPPNM, UNSCR 1540;
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and drafting skills;
- Proven planning, organizational and coordination skills with regard to technical assistance, capacity development, arranging conferences, seminars, workshops, etc., including in relation to managing financial resources;
- Experience working in a multi-national environment
- Good computer skills (MS Office applications; including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint, Outlook and Project).
5. Language requirements:
- Good working ability in written and spoken English;
Ability in at least one of the other African Union languages – Arabic, French, Portuguese, or Spanish, would be an added advantage.
Only citizens of State Parties to the Treaty of Pelindaba are eligible to apply for this vacancy. These are: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Saharawi Republic, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
7. Tenure of appointment
The appointment shall be made on a fixed term contract for an initial period of two (2) years, the first three (3) months of which shall be a probationary period. It shall be renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
8. Gender mainstreaming
- AFCONE is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 134,942.85 (P5 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 116,111.14 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff, based on the African Union’s salary scales and rules.
Interested applicants should submit a concise CV, and a letter of motivation that details their professional background and experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 30 days from date of announcement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.