The AFCONE hosted from 30 to 31 May 2022 a Workshop, organised in close cooperation with the IAEA Nuclear Energy Department.
This workshop allowed the presentation of selected Member States experiences in developing their regulatory framework for a new or expanding nuclear power programme, including the roles and responsibilities of the regulatory body and its organization and staffing; planning and issuing of regulations and guides; establishment of a system of licensing; and implementation of a siting, construction and commissioning oversight programme to respond to the needs of the nuclear power programme.
The purpose of this event was to support African Member States embarking on a nuclear power programme, through providing an opportunity for the exchange of information among countries as well as for learning relevant lessons from case studies and current practices. The organization of the 2022 UN Climate Change Conference (COP27) in Egypt, will be an opportunity to promote nuclear power energy and the related nuclear safety standards and requirements.
Click to download the following documents:
- Concept Note
- AFCONE Executive Secretary Opening Statement
- Opening Remarks by NENP Director
- Opening Speech by Dr Amani Abou-Zeid
- Dr. Ferapontov Speech
- The roles, responsibilities, and key activities of the regulatory body in the three Phases of a nuclear power programme
- The importance to ensure effective interactions between the relevant regulatory body and the Interested Parties
- Experiences of Member States in Building a Regulatory Framework for the Oversight of New Nuclear Power Plants (M. Ceyhan, NIDS-NENP/IAEA)
- IAEA Regulatory Cooperation Forum (RCF) Strategy & Current Activities, Chairperson (Dr Bismark/ RSA)
- Engr. Md. Muzammel HAQUE, Chairman, Bangladesh Atomic Energy Regulatory Authority BAERA-Bangladesh
- Ms. Olga Lugovskaya head of the Department for Nuclear and Radiation Safety of the Ministry for Emergency Situations of the Republic of Belarus (Gosatomnadzor)- Belarus
- Mr İbrahim Halil DERE, Vice President of the Turkish Nuclear Regulatory Authority (TNRA-NDK). Turkey.
- Dr Yau Idris, Director General / CEO, Nigeria Nuclear Regulatory Authority (NNRA)
- Dr Mohamed Gaheen. Head of Safety of Nuclear Installations. ENRRA – Egypt